Just putting the finishing touches on The Diet Hack. I look for it to be available on Amazon In July or August. It’s amazing how slow the book writing process is.
Anyway, just wanted to share this new diet I came up with. It’s pretty much a mish-mash with elements of all of the effective diet plans out there. I want to create a tabbed page with full references for this entry, so this post will get moved to its own page as soon as I figure out how to do that, haha.
The SOW Diet
What would The Diet Hack be without a brand-new diet? Well, here’s a little something that I’ve been playing with for a couple years. This diet was hatched one afternoon while I was camping with an old friend who was struggling with his weight. He wasn’t big on computers or organized dieting. I said to him, “Mac, if you’d just avoid sugar, oil, and wheat you would probably lose weight.” We then spent several days discussing it and came up with the acronym “SOW” as a quick reminder of what not to eat. I saw Mac a year later and he’d lost a good 50 pounds and looked great. He gave me a thumbs-up and said one word, “SOW.” Since then, I’ve put dozens of people on a similar trajectory and they all lose weight.
Sugar, Oil, Wheat
The Sugar, Oil, and Wheat (SOW) diet…pronounced sō, not sou…will help you sow the seeds of successful weight loss. The SOW diet doesn’t limit real food, just processed food that contains SOW. Avoiding these easily identifiable ingredients is easier than trying to adhere to a list of allowable foods. Eat what you want with the SOW diet, just don’t eat SOW.
Ultra-processed foods nearly all contain a mixture of SOW. These three cheap ingredients form the basis of 90% of the worst foods in the world (Kearny, 2010). If you are eating the Western diet, undoubtedly most of what you eat contains sugar, oil, and/or wheat. To make food out of SOW, all the tricks of ultra-processing are used. These foods also contain artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, emulsifiers, and other chemicals used to turn tasteless ingredients into addictive, shelf-stable food. This processing destroys any nutritive qualities of the food and destroys gut integrity of those who eat the food (Aguayo-Patrón, 2017).
By comparison to the Western diet, the SOW diet is filled with vegetables, fruits, fungi, fermented food, whole grains, potatoes, legumes, fish, poultry, eggs, honey, and contains moderate amounts of red meat, healthy oils, bread, and alcoholic beverages. What you won’t find is ultra-processed food that contains a mixture of SOW. Exercise and a healthy lifestyle are intertwined with the SOW diet.
The SOW diet ensures adequate protein to prevent loss of muscle and lean body mass. The SOW diet has a once-a-week “cheat meal” to keep the metabolism from slowing down during the caloric restriction phase.
Tim Steele’s SOW Diet…Lose 20 pounds in 30 Days!
Sleep and Stress
On the SOW diet, you’re encouraged to:
- Sleep at least 8 hours a night in a sleep-friendly environment.
- Omit alcohol and cannabis completely during the first three months.
- Worry less.
- Using MyFitnessPal’s free trackers, log your daily food intake, exercise, and weight.
- Optional: Using a large wall calendar, place an “X” on every day that you exercised and ate according to plan.
Monthly Logs (Using a piece of paper and pencil or computer spreadsheet)
- Record your waist measurement.
- Record your average hours of sleep for the month.
- Record the number of “X’s” from your calendar.
- Record your weight. Indicate change from previous month.
- Make notes of weights used in strength training and speed/duration of aerobics workouts, average walking, etc.
- Record weight and waist measurement.
- Keep records of medications, blood lab reports, doctor visits, and any illnesses through the year.
- Develop a plan for the following year.
- Join the forum at MyFitnessPal, SparkPeople, FitDay, or any you prefer.
- Start a thread called “Tim Steele’s SOW Diet Results”
- Discuss your amazing weight loss and fitness gains.
- Help others to lose weight by sowing the seeds of weight loss success.
The SOW diet is as real as any diet, and better than most. Try it as outlined. Maybe one day I’ll put it in a book. It combines elements of Wheat Belly, McDougall’s Starch Solution, The Case Against Sugar, and the Mediterranean Diet. The SOW diet removes the three worst offenders of the Western diet, but lets you add them back as long as they aren’t combined as in Krispy Kreme donuts, Wonder bread, and thousands of other Western diet staples. Avoiding this specific combination will help you avoid 90% of the worst foods on earth. This combination, especially when prepared with emulsifiers, chemicals, and refined beyond recognition, is highly inflammatory and damages the immune system and gut. Removing this unholy trio will result in rapid weight loss as the body rids itself of excess water and fat. A long-term diet devoid of Western staples will result in a return to good health and lasting weight loss. Extra protein and periodic cheat days will ensure metabolic success. You have my money-back guarantee! It’s even keto-compatible.